It’s been a long while since I’ve made biscotti. Almost a year, I think. I’m not sure why or how I forgot how much I enjoyed making them (and eating them).
It. was. heavenly.
Yield: Approximately 2-Dozen Cookies
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal, toasted and ground almonds *see directions below
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and coarsley chopped *see directions below
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Measure 1 1/4 cups of unblanched almonds. Spread them across a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 13 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Remove the almonds from your oven, and let them cool for a bit. Leave your oven on!
- Finely chop 1/4 cup of the toasted almonds (I highly recommend using a food processor). Once you have a ground meal, set aside.
- Coarsley chop the remaining 1 cup of toasted almonds. You can do this by pulsing them a few times in a food processor.
- In a medium bowl, Cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in eggs, one at a time, and almond extract. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, almond meal, corn meal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter and sugar mixture in portions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, until just combined.
- Stir in the remaining cup of coarsely chopped almonds and dried cranberries until well incorporated. The dough should be very sticky at this point. It should end up looking something like this.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. (If you don’t have parchment paper, generously spray the sheets with oil (Pam).
- Divide the dough into 4 sections. (I did only 2 sections. It depends on how many loaves you want.) Make sure your hands are floured to prevent it from sticking.
- Form a log with each ball of dough-approximately 3/4 inches high by 2 inches wide.
- Leave enough space between each log, as it will expand.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes, or until able to be sliced.
- Slice at an angle to form 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Return each slice, cut-side down, to the baking sheet. The biscotti will harden as it cools.
- Serve and enjoy